Adsense

Thursday, January 12, 2012

A Song of Ice and Fire



Hi there, it's been a while since I post and I'm sorry for that, the holidays together with exams at college stoled a lot of my time.
Today I'm here to talk to you about the series of epic fantasy novels A Song of Ice and Fire, written by George R.R. Martin. Many of you (as I), only heard about this when the Game of Thrones series when HBO aired it. But there are novels of course, Role Playing Games, board games, cards games all about this. I've seen the entire show on HBO and read the first 5 books and I can tell you they are really addicted. Cant recall the last time I became so addicted to a book, probably only with Harry Potter's series.
This story as Wikipedia says "takes place in a fictional world, primarily on a continent called Westeros but also on a large landmass to the east, known as Essos. There are three story lines that become increasingly interwoven: the chronicling of a dynastic civil war for control of Westeros among several competing families; the rising threat of the Others, who dwell beyond an immense wall of ice that forms Westeros' northern border; and the ambition of Daenerys Targaryen, the exiled daughter of a king who was murdered in another civil war fifteen years before, to return to Westeros and claim her rightful throne."
This last part is what really fascinates me, G. Martin created so many characters without losing focus resulting in a book with various storylines and takes you several pages to evolve, and that gets you addicted to the book, you really can't stop reading them until you finish. Another great thing (but sad tho) is that G Martin is not afraid to kill some of the main characters (SPOIL: as happened to Stark in the very 1st season, to many people one of the best characters in the story, including me).
For last I give you some Wikipedia facts that show you the greatness of this books:
"The "Ice and Fire" series has been translated into more than 20 languages. The fourth and fifth volumes reached the top of The New York Times bestseller lists in 2005 and 2011. Overall, the series has sold more than seven million copies in the USA and more than 15 million copies worldwide."

Finally I'll just leave you with the official amazing trailer and song:




Enjoy the post, expect me ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment